Communications Consultant | Remote
Request for Proposals
Accountability Counsel amplifies the voices of communities to protect their human rights and environment. As advocates for people harmed by internationally financed projects, we employ community driven and policy level strategies to access justice. Since our founding in 2009, our team has partnered with communities and advocates from over 50 countries to defend their rights, demand justice, and achieve historic victories. We are seeking a Communications Consultant to work with our team to ensure the voices our organization elevates are reaching those who need to hear them.
We work toward change through three programmatic approaches. Our Policy Advocacy program advocates for accountability offices that are accessible, transparent, and fair tools for justice; lawyers in our Communities program provide grassroots legal support and assist communities to use accountability offices effectively; and our Research team delivers concrete research and tools for the movement for accountability more broadly. Our respect-based approach underlies all that we do: internally, it guides how our team treats one another, and externally, it ensures that marginalized people, particularly Indigenous Peoples, women and girls, are included as full participants in community-led strategies seeking accountability.
Accountability Counsel is seeking a Communications Consultant adept at working in a diverse, collaborative atmosphere to engage with us on a monthly retainer to achieve organizational communications goals. A successful partnership has the possibility of longer-term engagement beyond an anticipated first year of engagement. Communication objectives for the Consultant’s work include the following:
- Support us to evaluate, update, and refine our communications strategy, goals, and metrics across the full range of media opportunities;
- Support us to develop and execute high priority communications projects to ensure that we are achieving strategic goals tied to key stakeholders, including journalists, policy-makers, donors, and partners. Earned media placements in the global press will be a key priority for this engagement;
- Provide communications training for and with our team and Board of Directors, particularly with how to articulate key messages to our stakeholders, how to effectively utilize specific media channels (including social media), and how to engage with journalists; and
- Provide feedback on visual communications, including our website, to ensure they are consistent with our substantive and visual brand.
COMMUNICATIONS GOALS AND TRACK RECORD
To date, Accountability Counsel has had varied success with press relationships and has secured placements in outlets listed here.
Our goal moving forward is to secure thoughtful placements in mainstream press, particularly global financial press, connecting our work to new audiences; and continue making strides within our field with thoughtful, strategically placed articles and guest columns elaborating on our model. A successful engagement will support our communication effort among peer groups, partners, and funders.
WHO YOU ARE
A seasoned communications professional who is:
- Committed to Accountability Counsel’s mission and values, including centering communities in everything that we do. You believe in the agency of communities around the world to protect their human rights and environment. You are inspired to help Accountability Counsel grow as a world class organization. You resonate with and are eager to celebrate Accountability Counsel’s respect-based approach and values;
- Versatile and well-rounded, with at least eight years of experience in communications (with our preference for proposals from those with experience supporting human rights, environmental, or other aligned non-profit organizations);
- Eager to use your network of trusted and relevant media contacts to support our mission;
- A thoughtful relationship builder who develops rapport and trust across lines of difference, both with clients and externally;
- A strong track record of positioning an organization to achieve tangible outcomes in a competitive communications environment with the openness and ability to thoughtfully evaluate strategies and outcomes;
- Experience coaching and supporting teams to speak on behalf of an organization; and
- Ability to understand and communicate effectively and sensitively regarding highly technical and often sensitive information pertaining to environmental issues, human rights, gender, development, security, economic policy and/or foreign affairs.
We invite proposals from qualified people regardless of your physical location.
COMPENSATION & PROPOSAL SUBMISSION PROCESS
The monthly consulting fee available for this contract is in the $5,000 to $8,000 range, depending on experience.
Please submit your proposal below, which should be addressed to Executive Director, Natalie Bridgeman Fields, and should include: 1) a tailored, authentic proposal that explains why this consultancy calls to you and is a fit, and 2) your resume.
We will review proposals on a rolling basis starting on November 1st.
Accountability Counsel is an equal opportunity organization that does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, disability, gender, nationality, ethnicity, sexual orientation or other prohibited category. We strongly encourage people of color, LGBTQIA+ individuals, people with disabilities, people from disadvantaged backgrounds, and all qualified persons to apply for this consulting opportunity.
We are no longer accepting proposals at this time.